NW MN Multi-County HRA
205 Garfield Avenue
PO Box 128
Mentor, MN 56736
(218) 637-2431 | Phone
(218) 637-2433 | Fax

Contact US

The HRA is a public non profit entity.  All funds donated will be used in creating housing and community development opportunities and is 100% tax deductible!

Rent Assistance

Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) is a subsidized rental assistance program

Do you need assistance paying your rent?

Rent and utilities take a large portion of a household's monthly income. If you are paying more than 30% of your gross income towards rent and utilities, it's hard to make ends meet. We may be able to help. The first step is to complete an application. Mail (do not e-mail or fax due to sensitive information) your complete application to PO Box 128 | Mentor, MN 56736. You will receive a letter letting you know if your application is pre-approved. Be sure to notify us if you have a change in address.

Online Application


The Section 8 Rental Assistance Program can help you pay your rent if you are income eligible. Eligible families and individuals select their own rental units, and pay 30% to 40% of their adjusted gross income towards rent and utilities.  Northwest Minnesota Multi-County HRA pays the balance of the rent. Check out our FAQ for more information about Rent Assistance!


The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program is a subsidized rental assistance program funded by the U.S. Department of HUD.


How do I qualify for a voucher?

Housing Choice Voucher Fact Sheet

Income Limits


Resources for Tenants

MN Website for Landlords & Tenants Rights & Responsibilities


Service Area

The Northwest Minnesota Multi County HRA service area includes eight counties in Northwest Minnesota: Kittson, Marshall, Norman, Pennington, Polk (with limited availability in the city of Crookston), Red Lake, Roseau and Lake of the Woods. Click for payment standards.

Section 3 of the Housing and Urban Development Act of 1968 (12 U.S.C. 1701u) (as amended), requires that economic opportunities generated by certain HUD financial assistance for housing (including Public and Indian Housing) and community development programs shall, to the greatest extent feasible, be given to low and very low-income persons, particularly those who are recipients of government assistance for housing, and to businesses that provide economic opportunities for these persons.


Who are Section 3 residents? Public housing residents including persons with disabilities and low and very low income persons who live in the area where a HUD assisted project is located.


What is a Section 3 Business? A Section 3 business is one that is owned by section 3 residents, employs Section 3 residents or subcontracts with businesses that provide opportunities to low and very low income persons.


For more information about Section 3 opportunities, please contact the office at 218-637-2431.


Landords are needed to provide good quality housing. If you are interested in finding out how the Housing Choice Voucher HCV Program works, we are here to help. Listed below are links to our Owner's Manual, HCV Fact Sheet from the U.S. Department of HUD, and the MN Publication of Landlord/Tenant Rights and Responsibilities. Contact our office for specific questions.

NWMN HRA Owner's Manual

Housing Choice Voucher Fact Sheet

MN Website for Landlords & Tenants Rights & Responsiblities


ReSet is a program that helps people who are currently making use of the Housing Choice Voucher program get back on track with their employment and educational goals.  ReSet also puts money in a savings account to be used to pursue homeownership or other goals when participants successfully graduate from the program.  Program participants receive help from a ReSet coach to find the resources they need to meet their goals.  The assessment can be found here. For more information on how you can get involved, contact Myranda at 218-309-0029 or at myranda@nwmnhra.org.

Section 8 Home Ownership Program

In the Section 8 Homeownership program, the HRA payments go towards making a participant's mortgage payment rather than towards rent assistance payments.  The program is open to participants who have been on the voucher program for at least one year.


To get on this program the family must be issued a Homeownership voucher.  To get a Homeownership voucher a family must be employed for a year, make a certain amount of money each year and be a first time home buyer.  Disabled families are given certain exemptions (i.e. do not need to be employed).


To determine the requirements of Section 8 Home Ownership, click here.


For further information about the Homeownership program call 218-637-2431 or e-mail kathy@nwmnhra.org

Fair Housing is the Law If you suspect unfair housing practices, contact:
HUD at 612-370-3000 - (TDD 7-800-927-9275) - Minnesota Dept of Human Rights 651-539-1100